Recently, the Prime Minister of India hailed the Dhordo village in Kutch district of Gujarat for being awarded as the Best Tourism Village by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO).
About the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO):
- It is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable, and universally accessible tourism.
- Functions: It serves as a global forum for tourism policy issues and encourages the implementation of the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism.
- It was established in 1975.
- Members: Membership of the UNWTO includes 159 countries.
- Official languages: The official languages of UNWTO are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
- Organisation structure:
- General Assembly: It is the principal gathering of the World Tourism Organization. It is composed of full members and associate members. It meets every two years.
- Executive Council: It is UNWTO’s governing board. It is composed of 35 members elected by the General Assembly in a ratio of one for every five full members. It meets at least twice a year.
- Headquarter: Madrid, Spain
Key facts about Best Tourism Villages initiative
- It was launched in 2021 by UNWTO.
- It is part of the UNWTO Tourism for Rural Development Programme.
- The programme works to foster development and inclusion in rural areas, combat depopulation, advance innovation and value chain integration through tourism and encourage sustainable practises.