A new Laboratory of Advance Synthesis and Characterisation (LASC) in Gujarat is developing LASC probe stations for universities in India and abroad for the investigation of opto-electronic properties in a wide range of materials.
- Optoelectronics is the study and application of light-emitting or light-detecting devices.
- It is widely considered a sub-discipline of photonics. Photonics refers to the study and application of the physical science of light.
- Optoelectronics is a fast-emerging technology field that consists of applying electronic devices to sourcing, detection, and control of light.
- It is largely based on semiconductor materials. These exhibit suitable bandgap energies for absorbing near-infrared and visible light, and their electric conductivity (albeit not perfect) is also essential for such applications.
- Examples of optoelectronic devices consist of:
- Telecommunication laser
- Optical fibre
- Blue laser
- LED traffic lights
- Solar cells
- These devices are used in a wide variety of application areas, such as military services, automatic access control systems, telecommunications, medical equipment, and more.
- Optoelectronics should not be confused with electro-optics, as this field is a wider branch of physics that deals with the interaction of electric fields and light, without concern if an electronic device is involved or not.