UPSC Syllabus for Prelims General Studies Paper 1
The following topics are listed by UPSC in the official IAS Syllabus 2022.
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization
- General Science
UPSC Syllabus for Prelims General Studies Paper 2 (CSAT)
IAS Prelims CSAT paper is a qualifying exam. Marks of CSAT are not counted for the final selection for Mains. As per the official UPSC syllabus 2022, the following are the topics to be covered for the exam.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. – Class X level)
Points to remember :
To ensure you are best prepared for Prelims, I wanted to provide you with a few important details that may aid in your planning.
- The UPSC syllabus is expansive and can be overwhelming. To ensure that you are adequately prepared, it is recommended to focus on key recommended books to gain a strong foundation. Once the basics are covered, you can proceed with more advanced books to refine your preparation for the Prelims exam.
- Dedicating time each day to keeping up with current events is an important part of preparing for the CSE. Take the time to study the newspaper and make notes on important points for review. Doing this will help you connect past and present events to more quickly identify correct answers.
- The CSAT paper, while only qualifying in nature, should not be neglected in your preparation journey. Thorough preparation is required to clear this paper, as the syllabus is defined differently than that of the GS Paper I. The syllabus may be shorter, but it still necessitates a lot of hard work to qualify. It is important to note that while CSAT scores are not counted in the final merit list, it does directly impact the cut-off for Prelims each year. As such, the cut-offs for Prelims can be affected by the difficulty level of the CSAT paper in that year. The strategies provided above are purposefully generic to appeal to aspirants of all levels preparing for the CSE in 2023. With that, you have reached the end of the preparation strategy for the Prelims exam.
These above strategy can assist you in staying focused and making consistent strides throughout your preparation process.
Self-belief is one of the most important tools for success. Trust in your own abilities and strive to push yourself to reach your goals.